Friday, March 21, 2008

Essay Assignment 9A

I Play a Musical Instrument
by Enxhi


I play a musical instrument called the piano which is a shortened form of the word pianoforte.

The piano was invented by Bartolomeo Cristofori of Padua, Italy in 1700. During the Mozart-era many changes were made to the piano that led to its modern form. The tonal range also increased from the 5 octaves to the 71/3 or more octaves found on modern pianos. Some earlier pianos had shapes and designs that are no longer in use such as the square piano or the very tall cabinet piano. There are two types of modern pianos: the grand piano and the upright piano. The grand pianos have a frame and strings placed horizontally with the strings extending away from the keyboard. The upright pianos, also called vertical pianos are more compact because the frame and strings are placed vertically extending in both directions from the keyboard and hammers.

I started playing the piano when I was 5 years old. I remember my parents buying me my first keyboard. My first teacher was called Nora. She was an old lady with silver hair and light wrinkles on her face. She was a sweet old woman but when it came to piano she became strict. She always pushed me to play better and gave me hard pieces to play. For example at the age of 6she taught me how to play the first part of Fur Elise. She was a great teacher who taught me the basics of piano. During these years I have changed many teachers who all taught me something new and at different levels.

“Enxhi keep your back straight, loosen your fingers, don’t keep your legs crossed”, they would say. C minor, D minor, A sharp, F sharp. All these terms that filled my head and stayed there during the whole day. 1,2,3,4 the beat raced in my head while I played.

I now have an upright piano. It is made out of wood and carved in beautiful old style designs. C. Rordrorf & C. = Zurich is written under the book holder which I don’t know what it means. When I touch the black and white keys my fingers slide softly as I begin to play or as it is also referred to as sometimes “tickling the ivories”. Forte or piano as I strike the keyboard it produces sound by striking steel strings with the felt hammers. While you play your emotions get inside the music filling it with feelings and the other way around: the music alternates your emotions. When it is low and bass it makes you feel angry and scared. When it is allegro it makes you feel light and fast. When it is soft and piano it makes you feel calm and in harmony.

The piano is my favourite instrument because it is a simple implement and it can produce all types of music. Great music has been written by virtuous composers on the piano. The greatest musicians to live all played it such as Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Tchaikovsky etc.

Although playing a piano piece may be hard and frustrating at first, when you learn it very well you feel good after you have achieved such a task. I aspire to someday be a very good pianist.